In this workshop, staff from the UMass Amherst Translation Center provided an overview of considerations regarding interpreting and translation needs, tools, and best practices within a public health or healthcare setting. Specific topics covered included:
- Should bilingual employees in your agency serve as interpreters and/or translators?
- The dangers of children, minors, relatives, and family friends serving as interpreters and/or translators (including legality issues)
- To use or not use Google Translate and other machine translation
- How to work effectively with interpreters and translators
- Interpreters via Zoom
- Covid-19 and Terminology (contact tracing and connecting with speakers of languages other than English via phone)
- Options for Language Services