As of September 22, 2022, the federal government has reopened bivalent Moderna COVID-19 vaccine ordering, which has been turned back on in the MIIS. Please note that supplies of Moderna vaccine may still be limited in the coming weeks so providers are instructed to only order a 1-2 week supply of vaccine at a time. Providers remain able to order vaccine on a weekly basis and supplies of the bivalent Pfizer vaccine are still sufficient to supplement your Moderna inventories. Providers should not schedule appointments beyond their vaccine on-hand in order to ensure all appointments are fulfilled.
For those who vaccinate pediatric populations, please also keep in mind that in the coming weeks the FDA may authorize the Moderna bivalent vaccine for use in individuals ages 6-17. If they do, the same formulation that is currently available for order will likely be authorized for use with those 6-11 years of age, at a half-dose volume. See below for additional information about Moderna COVID-19 vaccine storage and handling.
Moderna COVID-19 vaccines
• NO ULTRA-COLD FREEZER STORAGE
• Freezer storage (-50°C to -15°C) until expiry
• Refrigerate (2°C to 8°C) up to 30 days without puncturing
• Moderna bivalent COVID-19 vaccine is packaged in 5-dose vials in cartons of 10 vials each (50 doses total), with a minimum order quantity of 100 doses
• The same vial (dark blue cap, gray border) and presentation for Moderna bivalent is expected to be used for all authorized age groups (people ages 6 years and older), but volume and dosage expected to differ by age:
• Adolescents ages 12-17 years: same volume and dosage as for adults ages 18 years and older
• Children ages 6-11 years: half the volume and dosage as for adults ages 18 years and older (drawn from the same vial). i.e., one vial yields double the number of doses when used for 6–11-year-olds as when used for people ages 12 years and older
• Moderna bivalent COVID-19 vaccine does not require diluent
• Once punctured, each vial must be used within 12 hours.
If you need assistance placing your Moderna vaccine order in the MIIS or have questions, please contact the Massachusetts Department of Public Health Vaccine Management Unit at 617-983-6828.